EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology,
Terre Haute, IN
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
- Morehead State University, Morehead KY
- Master of Business Administration
Gregory John Smith comes to OCI-USA after 40+ years in the renewable energy space as a mechanical engineer with an M.B.A. Greg has worked for companies such as Emerson Electric Corp., Reliance Electric Corp., General Electric, and NextEra Energy Resources. Greg’s expertise within the mechanical workings of wind turbines, gearboxes, general mechanical failure analysis, and materials science testing, is unmatched in the industry. Though his primary focus will be in wind turbine and renewable energy failures, his expertise in materials science will prove valuable in physical and financial analysis to insureds, carriers, adjusters, and their legal counsel across the U.S.
RELAVANT INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
- Principal Engineer for Wind Turbine Mechanical Systems with focus on Gearbox Design, Reliability, and Root cause failure analysis.
- Developed program for predicting Remaining Useful Life (RUL).
- NextEra Representative on the NREL Drivetrain Reliability Collaborative.
General Electric, Sr. Engineer
- Senior Engineer in the development of gear drive systems for wind turbine & locomotive drive systems, including design and analysis of gearing stresses & microgeometry optimization.
Visteon Corporation, Senior Engineer
- Analysis, development, and testing of power train systems including electric all-wheel drive, startstop, hybrid drive, electro-mechanical valve actuator and low-pressure direct injection systems utilizing Visteon Product Development System.
- Wind Turbine Mechanical Systems
- Gearbox Reliability and Design
- Gearbox/Drivetrain Failure Analysis
- Bearing Design and Failure Analysis
- Mechanical Coupling Analysis
- Metallurgical Analysis
- Lubrication Systems and Specifications
- Mechanical Maintenance Quality
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Design of Steel Weldments, Lincoln Electric
- Deming Quality Control, University of North Carolina
- Value Analysis, Athens, GA
- Design for Manufacturing and Assembly, Maysville, KY
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, Greenville, SC
- DFMEA Training, Dearborn, Michigan